Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Binman in Jakarta

Me and my friends have recently watched a documentary about a binman in Jakarta,he works in horrific conditions just to earn a living for himself and his family.His job is at a minimum wage and he usually operates in dangerous conditions without safety equipment .

I knew this was not uncommon in developing countries (such as Indonesia) but seeing it closeup it really sparks a feeling in my heart and that is that if this man was born in countries such as Britain he would probably be living in a flat or apartment like a middle class person,but instead he lives in a small shack that looks like it could break anytime and is infested with animals,this shows that if you are poor from a developing country then you will get poorer and poorer and this made me feel lucky that i live in a decent sized house in the centre of the city.This made me feel very sad because he does not deserve to live like that but also made me feel grateful that I have a good education and still could shape my life. 
here is the link to the thought-provoking documentary : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EWLQw9TiCM

No comments:

Post a Comment